Books, life the universe

Saturday 22 December 2007

Plumbers, Anthony Powell and Amazon

Hah! that's hooked everyone who thought this was going to be something erudite and literary! Seriously though, I have just read Anne Brooke's writing blog - see link - and then followed the link to her interview with Chroma, where she mentions 'A Dance to the Music of Time'. Funnily enough it was my fault that the Anthony Powell Society was formed, as I introduced Keith Marshall to the books in the first place and got him hooked on them. Strange how apparently trivial actions can have such large repercussions as I mentioned in my comment on Anne's blog.
The Zen Mischief link is Keith's own blog and the Anthony Powell web site can be found here www.anthonypowell.org.uk

But now to plumbers. I am £78 poorer today but I now have hot water and can stop having cold showers! Simon Barker of Spalding you are a star! You came out the day after our phone call, and arrived when you said you would - and what's more you fixed the problem. We have this electronic box of tricks where the airing cupboard should be called a Boilermate - made by Gledhill. It runs our heating and hot water linked to an oil fired boiler, and provides an electric powered back up should the boiler fail. It gives us hot water on demand - normally. But the sensor had gone wrong and we were getting cold water. Many plumbers don't know what they are and how they work, and normally they don't need any maintenance - except the hot water sensor fails about every 5 years. We've been in the house just about 5 years. Anyway it's fixed now and we have the name of a reliable plumber who understands oil fired boilers and Boilermates.

So a good day as one of the problems on my list is fixed. Actually I think most of them have been fixed now as we had to buy a new printer - the old one decided it wasn't going to print the colour yellow - and the new one arrived yesterday. I don't think I'm waiting for anything else to be fixed now, so I can relax and have a good Christmas.

I have just signed up to Amazon Prime which for those who didn't know about it involves paying £49 per year and getting free one day delivery without having to wait until you've picked enough books to put the order total over £15 and then waiting for your super saver free delivery which sometime takes forever. I decided that I would probably order fewer books and so save money as I wouldn't always be looking for books to make it up to the right price. Well that's what I told myself. Of course I had to test it out and I can verify it works! Obviously if the book isn't in stock it won't be that quick, but you still get free first class delivery when it is dispatched. It looks like being a good thing. It also saves you money on express delivery, though if you've got one day delivery I can't see the point of express, but I suppose some people are just super impatient. Of course Amazon Prime doesn't work with their second hand sellers only Amazon itself, but it always says on the listing whether the item is eligible.

4 comments:

Keith (kcm) said...

Hi Jilly! Thanks for the plug for the Anthony Powell Society. You certainly didn't know what you started when you introduced me to 'Dance' ... it has sort of taken over my life after workand I've met lots of interesting people (even a few famous ones). Lots of interesting spin-offs from that period of our lives. ;-)
Have a great Christmas & New Year, and maybe we ought to arrange to meet up again sometime next year? Lots of Love, Keith xxx

Jilly said...

Yes - all my fault! Thanks for the good wishes. As to meeting - not too sure how well that would go down here, but who knows . . . Something to think about anyway.
Best of Christmas and New Year wishes. Lots of love Jilly xxx

Anne Brooke said...

Ah, Anthony Powell. Brings back so many happy memories - "Dance ..." is a wonderful series.

And glad you have a plumber now - lucky you! Getting a plumber round these parts is all but impossible.

And I'm also sorry about the tooth - I know this is my fault ... Hope all well soon.

Hugs

A
xxxxxxxxxxx

Jilly said...

The tooth is definitely NOT your fault, Anne! I just thought it an odd coincidence. I blame sod's law which says things will go wrong when it's least convenient for it to happen.