Books, life the universe

Thursday 27 December 2007

Benazir Bhutto

Why oh why can't we all live together peacefully?

I am shocked by this latest assassination but hardly surprised as I think it was a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm not even going to speculate about who could have been behind it. Suffice it to say that there is nothing more dangerous than a martyr.

I just hope this does not make the situation in Pakistan worse than it already is, though I can't help feeling it will do. The country has been a cauldron of unrest for so long it is going to take someone remarkable to bring everyone together and keep them together.

Female politicians in India and Pakistan do not seem to be terribly safe in general - what about Indira Ghandi?

I am reminded yet again of the words of Aristotle - the gist of which was that you cannot legislate against those who are prepared to die for their cause. An assassin's bullet you may be able to dodge and safeguard yourself against - but a suicide bomber is a different matter entirely.

At the risk of sounding like any of the church leaders - Pakistan needs our prayers.

2 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Yes, this is a terrible thing. I was really shocked when I saw the news.

:((

A
xxx

Keith (kcm) said...

Rather than write a long comment here, you'll find my thoughts over at Zen Mischief