Books, life the universe

Tuesday 15 April 2008

A wet day and a new cookery book

It started off beautifully bright and sunny. When I walked through the market place this morning on my way to work everything was bustling and cheerful as the stall holders set out their wares. There were people shopping as well as some stalls were already up and running. Everyone seemed in a good mood even though it was cold. The snack bar was doing a roaring trade in bacon butties - the smell was heaven. All this at 7.30am. Then everything went dull about lunchtime and I got wet on the way home. What a come down.

I've just bought a new edition of a book that I read so much as a child it fell apart. It's the Good Housekeeping cookery book. My mother's copy was my favourite bed time reading and I read it many times. Sometimes I'd start at the beginning and work my way through it, reading every recipe and studying every photograph. Sometimes I'd just dip into particular sections. If I have to use some long forgotten technique it's always what was in that book that comes to mind - complete with photograph. I shall be reading the new one tonight - well some of it anyway.

Off to have a shower and wallow in all those luscious recipes.

No comments: