Books, life the universe

Friday 26 February 2010

Patricia Wentworth

I have never read any of Patricia Wentworth's crime novels. She writes about Miss Maud Silver - a private detective from much the same stable as Agatha Christie's Miss Marple. Miss Silver, though, is a private detective and runs her own business. I've just read The Silent Pool which falls into the sub genre of country house mystery. Miss Silver is consulted by Adriana Ford - a retired actress - who thinks someone may be trying to murder her. Having unburdened herself to Miss Silver about certain worrying incidents she feels better and decides not to call in Miss Silver professionally - until a guest in her home is murdered. Then Miss Silver pays a visit.

I thoroughly enjoyed this low key mystery with its interesting characters and intriguing plot - and I liked Miss Silver herself. I think I shall be reading more by this author and I wonder why I have never read any before?

No comments: