Books, life the universe

Sunday 30 May 2010

Reading . . . .

I finished reading Jane Austen's Mansfield Park last night and I do like Fanny Price. So many people think she is a little boring. But anyone who can ignore the unpleasant Mrs Norris, stand up to Sir Thomas Bertram and refuse the attentions of the smarmy Henry Crawford must have more going for her than many readers seem to think. I suspect many people who don't like her forget that what is acceptable behaviour now definitely wasn't then. Henry's flirtations with Maria and Julia Bertram would be considered unimportant now but then - when marriage was as much a business transaction as an emotional relationship - it was a different matter.

I started reading Leigh Russell's Road Closed last night and found it engrossing reading - to the extent that I read all of part 1 - about 8o pages- even though I had the latest Barbara Erskine tugging at my sleeve and clamouring for my attention! I did start reading Time's Legacy as well before I fell asleep. I'm lucky enough to have received a proof copy of Time's Legacy through Amazon Vine - which allows its members to pick from a list of free books - usually advance copies - every month. I was surprised to see Barbara Erskine on there because she has a large readership anyway. Lady of Hay sold 2 million copies! But I'm more than glad to receive a copy at least 6 weeks before publication.

4 comments:

NAM said...

Coincidentally, I've just come across my copy of 'Mansfield Revisted' by Joan Aiken. I don't normally like other author's attempts at sequels to extant books, but am in need of some light reading at the moment, so will re-read it. I like Joan Aiken's 'own' books very much indeed, so it's unlikely to annoy me; it's also survived a few purges of the historical fiction, so I presumably enjoyed it previously.

Jilly said...

I think that must be one of the few Mansfield Park sequels and as you say Joan Aiken is usually good. I'll be interested to know what you think of it this time round.

NAM said...

Enjoyed it as a good pleasurable light read, frankly - and as it's only 192 pages it took no getting through - though I wouldn't say it's one of her best. And in retrospect one or two details niggled - given that the book opens following Sir Thomas Bertram's death, nobody seems to be going into mourning clothes, though you aren't told that they don't, I suppose. I found it especially hard to believe that the family would be holding a dance, even a small informal one, just three months later.

Once I'd suspended PedantsRUs, I enjoyed the romp!

Jilly said...

Hm yes - they definitely wouldn't have been holding a dance - hwoever small and informal at that early stage. Even so I shall look out for it.