Books, life the universe

Thursday 19 March 2009

That crucial form has been sent off

I finally managed to iron out the last few points I wanted clarified today so I immediately signed and sent off the form before anyone decided to reverse the offer. Not that I think they're likely to since no one had a clue what to give me to do even though I can do - and have done - most jobs at this grade. For the powers that be this is an easy way out. For me it's freedom.

I've told everyone in the office that I've accepted the offer and now some of them are talking to me again. Mind you there's so few of us now that it's quite difficult to avoid talking to anyone. Several people have asked what I'm going to do with my time as though they could not imagine what they'd do.

Apart from having more time available to read and write I think one of the biggest things for me will be that I will have time just to exist. Like this evening there are several web sites I want to look at but I know if I spend as long as I want on the Internet I shan't have time to wind down properly and so won't go to sleep at a reasonable hour. So I'm clock watching. It will be so nice not to have to do that.

I am really looking forward to it. Having worked virtually non-stop for almost forty years I feel I deserve some time to myself.

No comments: