Books, life the universe

Sunday 11 May 2008

Sunday

I have just finished reading Marian Keyes' latest 'This Charming Man'. Quite a gritty story - domestic violence, honesty or otherwise in (Irish) politics and alcoholism in women. There were also some hilarious scenes with cross-dressers which I absolutely loved. I'm not a particular fan of MK having been put off by 'Watermelon'. I did read - and loved - 'The Other Side of the Story' so I decided to try the latest. It was well worth reading. Some of the scenes are shocking even though you almost know what's coming. I recommend it - don't be put off by MK's chick lit image.

I've also finished Eve Houston's 'Secrets in Prior's Ford' - think Miss Read and Rebbecca Shaw. Village life and interesting people - the first in a series. I shall definitely watch for the next one as it was a good book to read on the bus to and from work.

Talking of work - our manager has got herself a temporary promotion and is moving on to greater things. So we're depressed bunnies at the moment as we've always felt she does her best for us. We don't know who we're going to get in exchange so we're feeling a bit jittery. Add to that the prospect of the office closing - well we hope it won't and have prepared a 60 page document to say why we think it shouldn't full of facts and figures. We shall have to wait and see until later this year whether we've been successful in our campaign to keep it open.

But I shall enjoy Sunday and worry about work tomorrow. It's sunny and warm, even if it is bordering on too hot to sleep at night, and it's really nice to wander around with a minimum of clothing on. Off to read the Sunday papers on line.

No comments: