Books, life the universe

Sunday 3 August 2008

Competitive reading

Is there a new trend out there? Or is this an old trend under a new title? I'm referring to the various reading challenges I keep coming across. dovegreyreader is currently doing around the world in 80 books and also the Man Booker Long List. Then there are various reading challenges mentioned on the mysterybookshelf http://themysterybookshelf.blogspot.com/

I can't decide whether it's a good thing or a bad thing. I can't see reading as a competitive sport myself but maybe some people like it. I always have plenty of books I want to read but I suppose if you're trying to decide what to read next it could be useful. Why read things you actually have no interest in just for the sake of reading a particular category or author? Or is this a case of me being a grumpy old woman? Answers on a post card please.

No comments: