Books, life the universe

Saturday 12 January 2008

Murder in the Park

I have finished reading Veronica Heley's latest Ellie Quicke mystery. If this is the finale to the series which she has indicated before that it could be, then it was a worthy finish. But there are enough loose ends for there to be other stories. Ellie is called to the aid of her friend Felicity who has witnessed a murder by a dangerous dog in the park where she was walking her baby. Ellie decides - encouraged, if not commanded by her formidable Aunt Drusilla - also Felicity's mother-in-law - to find the dog and owner before another killing takes place. But this is easier said than down and another person is injured. This time it is one of the ladies who helps in the charity shop where Ellie herself used to work. Ellie appears on the scene immediately after Mae is attacked apparently by the same dog and this makes her more determined to find the dog and alert the police. On top of this task she has to help look after her Aunt who's health is giving cause for concern, and try to keep her daughter Diana's schemes for increasing her own wealth in check.

For those of you who have followed this series it is interesting to see how much Ellie has come into her own strength of character. She takes charge of difficult situations on several occasions in this book and does it very successfully. Her relationship with Thomas the vicar is growing enjoyably until he announces he will soon be leaving the parish. Ellie realises how much Thomas matters to her, but it looks as though there isn't going to be a happy ending. Can she resolve the situation and catch up with the dog owner before a tragedy strikes? On top of all this there is a fire which badly damages her own house and Ellie is accused of starting it. Will she cope with all this and find a dangerous criminal as well? I am now going back to the beginning of the series to read them through again so that I can watch how all the characters develop.

On another topic - I only realised today that 'Writing Magazine' had published a letter of mine in the latest issue. It wasn't on the letters page which was why I missed it when I first flicked through the magazine. They'd done a letters extra page and it was on there! That's the first thing I've had published for months so I was quite chuffed about it.

My book has not had anything added to it since last weekend. Partly because I seem to have pulled a muscle in my back sitting in an upright chair is painful - that's my excuse anyway. I'm ok if I'm lying down or standing up, or even walking, but sitting down is quite painful - must be a different angle or something. It is easing off now, but I'm trying to spend as much time as possible this weekend horizontal with a book in my hand to give it a chance to return to normal before I go back to work on Monday. Work last week was only possible because I kept getting up every twenty minutes or so and having a walk round. If it's not better by mid week I shall go to the doctors. Easy with ours as there are no appointments - you just turn up.

Off to have a shower.

2 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Well done on the letter publication - great news!

:))

A
xxx

Jilly said...

Thanks Anne.