Books, life the universe

Sunday 6 January 2008

Sunday

It's Sunday - a day of rest and doing what you want to.

I read about 70 pages of Martin Edwards' 'The Coffin Trail' last night. Really good so far. It features DCI Hannah Scarlett who feels she's been side-lined by being asked to head the cold case review unit. Daniel Kind - an Oxford Historian with links to the Lake District has bought the cottage in which a murderer used to live. He knew the murderer and is haunted by the case as he does not believe Barry committed the crime. Lots of nuances and trails to be followed including my idea of an ideal bookshop/coffee shop, and a pub called the Moon Under Water. There's a pub with that name in Boston - by the river - but that's the only one I've come across before. I will report more fully when I've finished it. Martin Edwards' blog - link in my favourite blogs - is interesting reading for anyone who enjoys crime novels - either reading or writing them.

I received yesterday a copy of Veronica Heley's latest Ellie Quicke mystery - 'Murder in the Park'. She writes excellent cosy mysteries. I'm never sure I like that description but it is becoming more and more common. It just means there is very little 'on screen' violence, and little bad language. This does not stop Veronica Heley covering serious issues - such as attacks by dangerous dogs in this latest installment. Then there is paedophilia in 'Murder of Innocence', food poisoning in 'Murder by Bicycle', shenanigans in the city in 'Murder by Committee', poison pen letters in 'Murder by Suicide'. Throughout all her investigations Ellie has to stand up to her daughter Diana and ensure her elderly aunt is cared for. They are books which are anchored firmly in real life. They deserve to be better known in my opinion.

I had difficulty getting a copy of 'Murder in the Park', even though it was on order from Amazon for months before it was published in December. Amazon wrote and told me delivery would be delayed until February as they were out of stock, so I got it from The Book Depository http://thebookdepository.co.uk/s-book-.html - much cheaper! It's a shame that Amazon seem not to keep smaller publishers' books in stock. Severn House http://www.severnhouse.com/ Veronica Heley's publishers, mainly aim at the library market, both here and in the US. Their books are beautifully produced, with the picture on the dust jacket laminated onto the hard covers. These books are designed to withstand considerable wear and tear as might be expected and are a joy to read from a purely physical point of view, with a clear and easy to read typeface.

As well as these books to read I have my copies of Writers' News and Writing Magazine to read, not to speak of at least two shelves of unread books.

Writing progress - just over 24,000 words - so I've done my quota for this weekend, but I shall probably do some more later today.

Happy Sunday

2 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Well done on the writing - great stuff! Must say Veronica Heley is a very nice person - have met her a couple of times at conferences, though she's always faintly puzzled that she's never heard of any of my publishers! I think she thinks I make up the names!

:))

A
xxx

Jilly said...

Yes I've e-mailed her two or three times saying I've enjoyed her books and her replies always seem very nice.
Writing progressing well, though I shan't do any today i think - it's 8.10 and I've had enough for today but I might take on a new lease of life later and do some more. My 1000 words a day is flexible anyway because sometimes I just keep writing. If I've got to 45,000 by the end of the month I shall be happy.