Books, life the universe

Saturday 14 June 2008

There's protest and then there's protest

I'm all for peaceful protest which doesn't stop people going about their lawful business but this was a step too far in my opinion:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/7453846.stm
How dare they try and stop a power station running? How dare they try and inflict their views on everyone else? I'm pleased everyone was arrested - they deserve it.

I remember feeling very much the same during the fuel protest back in 2000 for similar reasons even though I was in sympathy with the cause. Once again ordinary people were prevented from going about their day to day lives. At the time that started I was on my way to Gateshead for a conference with a colleague. It was touch and go whether we managed to get enough fuel to get home again. The A1 was virtually deserted when we came back, though it had been packed with queues of protesting lorries on the way there.

Lobby your MP, write a blog, write to the papers protest outside parliament - whatever, but do not obstruct other people - this is civil disobedience.

It's not often I get this riled by any issue - but this is something I feel very strongly about.

No comments: