Books, life the universe

Wednesday 14 October 2009

Hated words

I've only heard my current least favourite from a few people and recently found out it is used by Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear . Which said it all really. The hated word/expression is T'Interweb - sometimes also heard as T'Internet. What's wrong with calling it the Internet or the Web - either of those say what is. It makes my skin crawl - though I don't know why. My last manager at work used it all the time - first time he used it I had to ask for a translation! I heard it again recently and was reminded how I used to flinch every time it was used. I'm not usually a pedant as far as language is concerned and other popular expressions only annoy me because they're used all the time - e.g. singing from the same hymn sheet; it's not rocket science; across the piece; at the end of the day; by close of play. . . . But this particular one really gets to me.

No comments: