Books, life the universe

Saturday 10 October 2009

Howard's End is on the Landing

Susan Hill's Howard's End is on the Landing is an enthralling read for anyone who loves books. I've read about 50 pages so far and I'm finding I want to ration my reading of it so that it lasts longer. It is one of those hard to classify books which would probably not have been published if the author wasn't relatively well known. It is not just about what she read during the year when she decided not to buy anything new but also about how books have influenced her life and about authors she has known. Not just a list of books but an inspiration to try other authors. I'm not at all sure I agree with her about Charles Dickens - maybe I need to give him another chance. But agree or disagree this is a fascinating book.

No comments: