Books, life the universe

Friday 15 January 2010

Working in supermarkets


I'm always interested in reading about other people's work and I can't be the only one as there seem to be quite a few books published featuring people's working lives. I've come across Anna Sam's book Checkout: A Life on the Tills before but for some reason had not bothered to buy and read it. Possibly because it is translated from French and sometimes translations can be a little clunky in my experience.

But I overcame my prejudices and decided to get a copy. I started it last night and have almost finished it. I found it probably one of the funniest of the books I've read about supermarket life. Her experiences with the customers and their purchases are very well drawn with a wry understated humour which comes over very well in translation. It is very well done and if you want to know what working in a supermarket is really like you will find this book worthwhile. It will also teach you how to be a better and more considerate customer!

No comments: