Books, life the universe

Wednesday 6 February 2008

Writing progress

I have managed to add some more to Knowledge is Death over the last few days - up to 33,717 words now. We are progressing. Even though I have a plan for the rest of it I keep thinking of things to add, including a new suspect. This means introducing said suspect earlier in the book - good thing I'm just trying to get to the end rather than write perfectly!!

Reading - I have been reading Writers' News and Writing Magazine over the last few days. I am re-reading Veronica Heley's 'Murder by Accident' and seeing things in it I hadn't noticed before. I am still debating whether to write a strongly worded reply to a letter in the magazine saying something along the lines of - writing for publication is a full time job. Well no it isn't or probably two thirds of the books published would not ever be written. So many people combine writing for publication with other jobs because it doesn't always pay well. Doing it as a hobby or part time income does not mean you have an unprofessional attitude to it and a disregard of deadlines. I think all the writer of the letter was meaning was that yu do need to be professional but it wasn't the way it came over.

I have also read 'The Desperate Diary of a Country Housewife' by anon - the book of the Sunday Times Country Mole column. Amusing reading and left me wondering about the fine - invisible? - line between fact and fiction.

Still trying to get hold of Martin Edwards' 'The Cipher Garden' from Amazon. They seem to be having difficulty getting it so I may try Waterstone's instead. Or better still - my local independent bookshop - a job for tomorrow lunch time I think.

Martin -thanks for the tip about the companion to Dorothy Sayers - I shall be hunting for that.

Anne B - I will be buying a copy of 'Thorn in the Flesh' when it's released and I've just e-mailed Goldenford to see when it will be available to buy from their website.

2 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

I know what you mean about the professionalism thing, Jilly - as you say, you don't have to be full-time for that, in any business!

And many thanks for the query re "Thorn" - the publication date is 25 Feb so it will be available for ordering then. If you drop me a line when you've ordered, I can make sure it whizzes its way to you!

Hugs!

:))

A
xxx

Jilly said...

My thoughts exactly!

Yes I'll let you know when I've ordered. Jennifer is making a note that I would like one once they're available.