Books, life the universe

Sunday 30 March 2008

British Summer Time

I feel like starting a campaign for sticking to GMT all year round. I can never see what good it does to change the time forward and back. I must say here the weather in my part of the world seems to have paid attention and it's bright and sunny after the rain and wind of yesterday, so a welcome change. It takes at least a month for me to get used to the change and I wander around like a zombie for the first few days every time. I suppose it's good for us - but I remain to be convinced.

I started reading 'In the Red: the diary of a recovering shopaholic' by Alexis Hall last night. Very fly on the wall and compulsive reading because of it. (Strange I don't like reality TV shows) I am also reading 'Indulgence' by Paul Richardson about his world wide search for the best chocolate - naturally he is a self-confessed chocoholic. I've just about finished Edmund Crispin's 'Holy Disorders' - an excellent example of the Golden Age of detective fiction. Reading it makes you realise how styles of writing have changed and how authors assumed a must greater education in their readers. I really need to read it with a dictionary in hand as there are several words I had not come across before and I consider myself reasonably literate!

I'm now off to read the Sunday papers on line - cheaper than buying the real thing but not quite as satisfying as curling up with a pile of newsprint.

2 comments:

Keith (kcm) said...

I agree with you about GMT, Jilly! The only thing putting the clocks forward gives us is longer, lighter summer evenings -- which I do like. But we could achieve that just as easily by adjusting our working hours. I hate to think how much it costs industry changing the clocks twice a day. I think we ought to start the campaign to save GMT - after all it is part of our heritage! :-)

Jilly said...

Great - a supporter! There's usually a lot of support come October for keeping BST so I think we ought to redress the balance a bit and start a movement in support of GMT. As you say it just needs us to adjust our working patterns instead. It would still be light until at least 9.00pm under GMT anyway.