Books, life the universe

Monday 10 March 2008

The weather etc.

I find this really windy weather very frightening. Something to do with the sheer power of nature and the fact that in the face of it human efforts are just so puny and ineffectual. We just have to sit it out and hope we'll emerge unscathed the other side. On the other hand having just heard 3 fighter jets go over the house so low I felt like ducking, we're maybe in more danger from human activities! Please leave the roof on boys!

Personally I don't have a problem with the RAF flying low over here. We aren't far from the bombing range in the Wash - as the jets fly - and we're not far from Waddington, Scampton Coningsby or Marham in Norfolk. However if they're really noisy they can startle you, especially as it's quite quiet usually.

The wind here could have been worse. I think we just got the edge of the storm. I sometimes think because we're so low lying - almost below sea level - we escape some of the worst weatehr as it sails over the top of us almost. But it's eased off a lot now, and we're supposed to have a peaceful night.

I've just started reading Alexander McCall Smith's latest in the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series 'Miracle at Speedy Motors.' I love these books with their gentle humour and knowledge of human nature. They contain what might be called old fashioned values nowadays - caring for others, trying not to hurt people, apologising when you're in the wrong and helping people whenever you can. I think these books are an acquired taste perhaps and certainly not everyone I recommend them to likes them. I like his 44 Scotland Street stories as well but have never yet managed to read the Isobel Dalhousie series.

Writing - 48,000 words - 152 pages of double spaced A4 - deliberately face down in a box file so that I won't be tempted to read it yet. May do some later this evening

No comments: