Books, life the universe

Sunday 9 March 2008

It's Sunday

I have has a relaxing Sunday reading the Sunday papers - actually on paper for a change. I usually do this when I'm not working during the following week. I'm off now until March 25th, and I've been really looking forward to it. Time to surf the net, read and write, and just relax.

I have currently nearly finished reading 'Trust me I'm a (junior) Doctor' by Max Pemberton. This is the book of The Daily Telegraph column. I'm sure if we really knew what went on in any profession we would never trust them again. I find it interesting reading these descriptions of every day working life. I've read several by various members of the medical profession and found them all compulsive reading. How doctors see patients is always illuminating and should make us behave differently. I'm not sure it does but then who is any good at recognising their own abominable behaviour? I recommend 'trust me' as an insight into the workings of any NHS hospital. Perhaps I'll put another list on Amazon of books about jobs.

I was reading today about a supposedly senior civil servant who has written a blog about the failings of ministers and her own colleagues. I've just tried to read it from the link on the Times web site - needless to state I couldn't get on it. Either because the powers that be have banished it to outer darkness or it's simply so busy it's crashed. Blogging about one's employer tends to end in the sack - ridicule can be painful. I'm too close to my pension to risk all by letting off steam in public, but good luck to anyone who does try.

One day I'll master putting in links but I don't think my brain is working properly today!

2 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Ooh, enjoy your time off - lucky you!

A
xxx

Jilly said...

Thanks Anne - just hope the weather improves!