Books, life the universe

Monday 7 September 2009

Interesting reading

I'm about half way through Michael Mansfield's Memoirs of a Radical Lawyer and it is fascinating reading if you're at all interested in the way our justice system works. He has been involved in some of the most high profile legal cases of the last 20 or 30 years. Mainly he defends people which has meant receiving all sorts of threats - up to and including death threats - especially when he was defending IRA bombers. So far I've been reading about the Marchioness disaster on the Thames; an assortment of IRA bombers; the Bloody Sunday enquiry; the Stephen Lawrence case; the miners' strike in the 1980s and the court cases which resulted from it. He has an easy writing style and while I don't always agree with his politics I can see where he's coming from. Well worth reading in my opinion.

No comments: