Books, life the universe

Tuesday 16 June 2009

Great Grandmother Sarah's birth ceritificate

I received a copy of my great grandmother's birth certificate yesterday. It gave me a really strange feeling to be holding a piece of my past like that This is just the start of the story though because currently I have been unable to trace her marriage or death. She was born in July 1870 and I have found her on the 1871, 1881 and 1891 censuses. I cannot find her on the 1901 census at present ad I cannot find her marriage or death between 1891 and 1901 so what happened to her after 1891 I have currently no idea. But at least finding her birth and where she was in 1871, 1881 and 1891 is a start.

I now have another name to search for as well because Sarah Jane Slator's mother was Mary Sophia Scotney - born in the 1840s and died in 1881 just before the census. Scotney is fortunately not a very common name so if I want to trace her ancestry it might be easier. Sarah Jane's father was Alfred Slator and I also know where he was on the censuses from 1851 right through to 1901 even though his christian name and surname were variously misspelled. I also know when he was born and when he married Mary Sophia though he seems to have remarried after Mary Sophia's death in 1881 so I need to find his second marriage.

But I have made progress and much of the above information I uncovered in a few hours searching even though last time I did any research I got nowhere. This is really one blessing of the Internet - so much information out there even though you do have to back it up with original documents such as birth, marriage and death certificates.

No comments: