Books, life the universe

Friday 10 April 2009

Lovely weather for ducks

I was hoping it would rain today - which sounds odd. I'd raked the lawn yesterday to get all the dead grass out of it and I wanted to put the 'weed and feed' on it. This is supposed to be done just before it rains so it gets watered in otherwise you have to do it yourself. I was just right with the timing and it started raining almost immediately the stuff had been spread on the lawn and has rained on and off for the rest of the day.

In the space of less than 24 hours the Rowan tree in the front garden has started into leaf. Wednesday when I came home from work there were no green shoots but by the time I came home from work on Thursday the leaves were clearly visible. The old nest in this tree - which is about 7 or 8 feet tall - is currently the subject of a turf war between the local blackbirds. I'm not sure why as it was formerly the home of some sparrows and I would not have thought it was big enough for the blackbirds.

Spring is sprung in this part of the world and the grass verges are starred with daffodils. We get more than our fair share of daffodils lining our country roads because farmers grow them for the bulb industry and there are always some which get left behind or thrown onto the verges. I love this time of year because everything seems new minted and fresh. The colours are more vibrant than they become later in the summer months.

Happy Easter everyone.

No comments: