Books, life the universe

Saturday 21 February 2009

Childlessness

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/4679546/Why-Im-happy-to-be-child-free.html

I could not have put it better myself!

In recent years I haven't had any negative comments about my childlessness but I used to get a lot when I was in my twenties. Most of them were along the lines of telling me I was selfish for not wanting children.

I have not regretted my decision which was made when I was a child. I did have a very idealised picture of myself at one time having twins and holding down a really high powered job. Somehow that never got close to being on the drawing board and I'm not at all sure where it came from!

I've never been interested in children and what maternal instincts I have are more than satisfied by looking after an ill partner and a delinquent cat, not to speak of being agony aunt at work.

Sore throat a bit better today but I've started sneezing. Don't feel too bad though - maybe it won't develop into anything much.

2 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Totally and utterly right - I entirely agree!! I still have dark though rather amusing memories of my (not so nice) aunt pigeon-holing me at my wedding and giving me the speech about how unnatural my husband and I were to have chosen never to have children and not even being secretive about it and - horrors! - to have removed the mentions of children from our wedding ceremony entirely to boot.

The fact that I don't like children and never have, and it's never been in my (or Lord H's) life's path, seemed to have totally passed her by. Mind you, my response that if we ever did have children, we'd (a) sue the surgeon who gave us the vasectomy, and (b) leave the wretched unwanted child on her doorstep seemed to shut her up nicely ...

:))

Axxx

Jilly said...

I've always thought it interesting other people reserve the right to comment on a decision which is after all personal - especially as I have never felt the need to comment on their decision to have children! I know someone has to continue the human race if only so that there will be people around to fund my pension(!) - but I don't want to do it.