Books, life the universe

Tuesday 17 February 2009

Follow up to yesterday

I have just read that Alfie who apparently fathered a child at the age of 12 may open the DNA test results on live television - possibly Channel 4. I'm sorry but this is disgusting and sickening not to speak of ridiculous. How is this going to improve the state of the nation's morals?

I really hope public opinion puts a stop to this before it takes place otherwise there's going to be all sorts of children seeking to emulate him. I'm all for not being prudish about sex but this is taking things too far. I'm rapidly falling out with the 'no blame culture'. In this case someone is to blame and probably the parents who allowed this sordid state of affairs to happen in the first place.

It's no good saying children will do what they want and you can't stop them. Parents are responsible for children and whilst I don't agree with parents being tyrants, children need to be at least worried about displeasing them in order to keep them on the straight and narrow. Bring back old fashioned parenting and discipline which works.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4680496/Schoolboy-father-Alfie-Patten-may-open-DNA-test-results-on-live-television.html

3 comments:

Keith (kcm) said...

Yeah I have to agree. It's like my late friend Victor (remember him?) used to say: "Children are like dogs. They have to be trained." He had a point. Kxx

NAM said...

You're certainly right in implying that parents are frightened of their own children - I've observed this over the last fifteen or so years at work, and it has me shaking my head in disbelief. They are seriously worried that if they deny the child anything then the child will not love them. This is not only wrong-headed, it's cruel to the kids. They want hugs and boundaries, and above all some consistency!

Jilly said...

Keith - yes I remember Victor - and children DO need training - he was right.

NAM - The last Facebook party that went wrong the mother said she didn't like to refuse her daughter permission to have the party as she'd have done it anyway! I can remember lots of occasions when my parents said no to me. Even though I did at various times run out of a room screaming 'I hate you!' we all knew I didn't mean it. That sort of scene is just part of being a child.